Christmas is commonly known as the season for over-indulging. Anyone else guilty of pavlova for breakfast on Boxing Day because of the abundant amount of dessert left-overs from Christmas?! If you’re wanting to stick to a healthier Christmas dessert spread this year then try this Mango and Raspberry Coconut Semifreddo dessert option that everyone is bound to love! It uses coconut cream and milk instead of ice cream and incorporates fresh and seasonal fruit so it’s a nice lighter option to the classic Christmas cake and custard!
1 mango, stoned, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
2 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
210ml coconut cream
Sliced mango, to serve
Shaved fresh coconut, to serve
Raspberries, extra, to serve
Passionfruit pulp, to serve
1. Grease the base and sides of a 10cm x 24cm (base measurement) loaf pan and line with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Place the raspberries in a food processor and process until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard solids.
2. Process the chopped mango in a clean food processor until smooth. Transfer to a separate bowl.
3. Use a handheld electric mixer to whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl until light and fluffy. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and carefully whisk for 8 mins or until the mixture doubles in size and temperature reaches 72°C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat. Continue whisking for a further 2 mins or until the mixture cools to room temperature.
4. Use a clean electric mixer to whisk the cream in a bowl until firm peaks form. Add the coconut cream and use a metal spoon to fold until combined. Add the egg mixture and gently fold until just combined. Divide the cream mixture evenly between 2 bowls. Reserve 1 portion in the fridge. Add mango puree to the remaining portion and gently fold to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the freezer for 1 hour or until just firm.
5. Add raspberry puree to the reserved portion of cream mixture. Pour over mango mixture in the pan. Cover with foil. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
6. Remove semifreddo from freezer. Uncover and set aside for 5 mins to soften slightly. Invert onto a serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Top with mango slices, shaved coconut and extra raspberry. Drizzle with passionfruit pulp. Serve immediately.